Saturday, November 21, 2015

Product Review: Lilly Pulitzer Agendas 2015-16


Today, my lovely readers, I'm going to do a product review on something that I carry with me everywhere- my Lilly Pulitzer agenda! I'm going to be very direct; I was in no way compensated for this post, all views expressed are my own on this product which I purchased on my own. And just as a heads up, this is going to be a very photo oriented post because my phone camera is working! The period when my phone camera destabilized was a very dark period for me, and now that it's back in full color, you guys get to see lots of pretty pictures!

I begin this post with some commentary that's specific to certain pages/my own personal use of the planner. After this, you'll find my overall commentary on the product. (I recently learned how to use subheadings that aren't just making certain pieces of text larger and changing the color so that they look like headings but aren't, so get excited for that!)

Some Page Specific Commentary:

If you're as scatterbrained as I am, a good planner is a must. My planner may look super hectic because of all the stickers, but I always have enough room for all of my events for the day. You'll notice in the picture below that I really like to use the medium tip Flair pens for my planner. These pens are amazing and don't bleed through the pages like you would expect a felt tip pen to.


Sometimes I like to add washi tape along the edges of the page for a decorative touch. The pages already have a Lilly Pulitzer print along the top edge and sometimes an illustration, but other than that, they're a blank canvas.


At the beginning of the planner and also at the beginning of the months, there's a full calendar layout spread. I generally use these pages to mark when major assignments are due and family events. The boxes are a little small for my liking, but I don't see any other way that they could design the page to make the calendar bigger without changing the size of the planner.




The planner comes with an adorable page of stickers in the Lilly Pulitzer style. As you can see, I really like stickers, so these are a nice addition to the pages. If you don't want to clutter your planner pages with as many stickers, these ones are super great because they don't look like add-ons the page because of the similar style. In this picture you also get a really good idea of what the tabs look like that separate the different sections of the planner. The tabs are glossy as opposed to the matte paper used on all of the pages, keeping them in good condition while they're sticking out from the side of the book. (The tabs do not extend past the edge of the cover, but are in line with it, putting them at high risk of injury if they weren't protected like they are.)


The planner also has a spread of pages for 'Days to Celebrate'. This is where I like to keep track of friend's and family's birthdays. It has all the months written out and gives lines underneath for you to write in your important occasions. The planner also has a separate page for national holidays, so you don't need to remember all of those.


There's a bunch of pages for phone numbers and addresses. I found these pages not very useful because I already have this information in my phone. Since the stickers make the planner so much thicker than it usually is, I removed some of these pages to make extra room in the spiral binding. In addition to removing some of these pages, I also removed the full calendar layout at the beginning of the planner since each month also has a calendar layout before it.


The notes section of the planner comes in really handy for when I need to jot something down, but don't have any other paper. I often use this section to make lists such as grocery lists, but also to write down important details of assignments that I don't have room for in the general week layout. In my last Lilly Pulitzer planner, I actually ended up using all of my notes pages, so I think they're a really great addition to a planner.


You can see below the difference in size between the medium (top) and the large (bottom) planners. Lilly Pulitzer also stocks a jumbo sized planner which I personally have not used before, but am curious about trying out. The only thing is that the jumbo planner only comes in a select couple of patterns.

The planner patterns that I have are the Wild Confetti (large) and the Lilly's Lagoon (medium). The large planner is 6 3/4 by 8 7/8 inches and the medium planner is not being sold anymore, so I can't find the specific sizing.


Overall Commentary:

I really like this planner a bunch! I have both the large and the medium planners because I was given one as a gift after I had bought my own. I prefer to use the large sized planner just because of how much extra space I have to write down daily plans. I find the calendar spread layout on the medium planner just too ridiculously tiny to use because you can't fit that many words in a box. I tend to use my large planner for my school and social stuff, while my medium planner is more for blog stuff. (Update: after checking online, I can no longer find the spiral bound medium planner, just the large and jumbo sizes.) 

The planner has an elastic band that keeps it shut, although I've seen people use this to mark what page they're on. I generally just put a little post-it on the top of the week that I'm at and then use the elastic to keep the whole thing closed so that the pages don't get all wrinkled up in my backpack. The elastic is really durable and I've never had an issue with it, which is a feat considering how much my planner goes through.

The spiral binding is also really nice because it allows the planner to sit flat when you open it up to a page. The only issues I have with the binding is that sometimes the pages don't move on it the way that they should, so they get stuck. The binding is also fit expecting that the planner will not gain in size, this is not the case when you are adding stickers or other decorative elements to the pages. If you're looking for a planner that can take a lot of extras, the Erin Condren planner is meant for that kind of use. In order to get my planner to fit all this extra stuff, I needed to remove some pages from it that I wasn't going to use.

The features of this planner are great! The entire beginning of the planner is sectioned off into things such as 'Notes' or 'Travel Planner' or my personal favorite, 'Days to Celebrate'. The tabs on the edges of the pages make the planner easy to maneuver through and quickly find what you're looking for.

The Bottom Line:

I would totally recommend this planner to someone looking for a good week-long planner. If you're looking for more of a day-specific planner that outlines the day in an hour by hour fashion, this may not be the planner for you, you would probably want either the Day Planner or the Erin Condren planner. (The Erin Condren planner being the most expensive planner of the bunch.)


3 comments:

  1. I love the stickers and washi tape decorated looks on planners! I wish I had the time to do all of that. Great post!
    -Kim
    www.simplybeingkim.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim for your kind comment! I definitely spend more time than I probably should decorating my planner but it's a nice break in the midst of school work.
      -Katelyn

      Delete
  2. Amazingggg post! I have recently gotten into the planner trend, and I LOVE it! These photos are totally my goals for my planner at the end of the year <3
    -Jenna <3
    Follow me back? The Chic Cupcake

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! *I reserve the right to delete any comments deemed offensive or unrelated to the post*
-Katelyn