Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Let's Art Journal (Week 6: Greek Pottery)


This week's journal page is inspired by some of the pottery that we've been looking at in my classical archaeology class. I've been doodling some of the vases in my notebook, so I decided that it was time to move them into a more finalized drawing.

Supplies:
  • Watercolor Pencils
    • Derwent Turquoise #40
    • Derwent Water Green #44
    • Derwent Oriental Blue #37
    • Derwent Sky Blue #34
  • Prismacolor Marker Pens in Sepia - .05 and brush tip
  • Water and Paintbrushes
Process:
As you can see from my see from my supplies list above, I took a really simple approach to my page this week and I may end up working back into it at a later time. This week's page was really an experiment in color tones that were fairly similar and then I used them to give color to an object that typically isn't these colors. I really fell in love with the tones of blues and greens, so I scrapped the traditional colors of black, red and tan that you normally would see in ancient Greek pottery and I made it my own!



I start with my turquoise pencil to sketch out the main lines of the vase in watercolor. In retrospect, I wish I had put the vase slightly higher up on the page so that you could see the base of the pottery piece too because the image would make more sense as a whole. I also used the turquoise watercolor pencil to fill in the opening of the vase, although I knew that I would have to make it darker later on.


I begin adding in the patterning using the Water Green watercolor pencil which is very hard to get a dark enough color. The vertical lines that go around the belly of the vase were supposed to be more diamond shaped, but the brush I was using didn't really do that. Later in the process, I'll sharpen the shapes to how I really wanted them by using my Prismacolor marker pen to outline and cross-hatch the shapes.



Now I use my darkest blue (Oriental Blue) to replicate that meander pattern that I painted on the vase into the background. I also use this color to sharpen some of the lines of the vase and to darken areas that seemed washed out once the other colors were added in.


Now, I take my .05 Prismacolor marker pen in sepia and use it to do the outlining of the vase and the patterns that I painted on it. Some of the areas on the vase were looking a little bare, so I added in some lines of dots to break up the space some more.


Continuing with my marker pen, I add in crosshatching on the vase to darken some areas and add more tonal variety to the patterns.


At this point, I thought that the background was looking too much like a big, empty, white space, so I decided to draw in a smaller Greek vase using my Prismacolor marker pen in brush tip. The lines come out thicker than the .05 pen, so it's a little bit of a different feel to work with. I wish that I had done some more practicing with this pen before drawing the second vase because I don't think I fully understood the technique until I was close to done and was able to get a nice 'flick' on my lines. At this point, I also outline my swatches which, I think, look really pretty on the page.


To tie all of the parts together, I write my journal entry in my .05 pen and I also use that pen to go back into my second vase and do some cross-hatching. I didn't have that much to say for this week's page, but if I come up with something else to write, the area in the upper left-hand corner would make a pretty good spot for that to go.


And now I present to you the finished page:


I hope you guys are enjoying these posts, and I just want to acknowledge the fact that the writing in these art journal posts may be getting shorter, but I'm still putting the same amount (if not more) into the pages each week, I just feel that the pictures do a better job describing than I can. As always, feel free to post any comments or questions you have down below and I'll do my best to answer them. Also, if you created your own art journal page this week, I'd love to see it (and possibly include it in next week's post), so hashtag it on Instagram with #CKLetsArtJournal or email it to me at the email that can be found in the contact information section of my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! *I reserve the right to delete any comments deemed offensive or unrelated to the post*
-Katelyn