Sunday, October 11, 2015

Thrift Shop Finds


On Saturday, I went thrift shopping in downtown Fargo with some girls from my floor. I ended up finding some cute pieces and some things that I was looking for some upcoming DIY projects. One of the thrift shops had a lot of things that were overstock from Target and were new with tags. I really like finding new items at thrift shops because they're so much cheaper than in the store but are the same quality.

This first floral cardigan is Mossimo (Target) brand and I believe I got it for $5.99. I had actually looked at getting this sweater in the store a while ago, but never ended up buying it, so it was a nice surprise to find a brand new one for about a third of the price. I really like the tones of color in the body and feel like it can be paired well with a solid color, probably pastel, dress.

This next sweater I found irresistible. It's a metallic gold and black argyle with a collar and shoulder pads. I think this sweater was $3.99, so it was an absolute must-buy. It's a size large and a bulky material, so I intend to wear it with black leggings sometime this fall.


This was a really cute silky robe which I normally would not buy used, but it also had brand new tags and there were about ten of the same robe, meaning that a store likely donated them. I thought the black and white polka dots were really great paired with the pink ribbon accents.


This next skirt is a Nanette Lepore which for those of you who aren't familiar is a fairly pricey brand. I paid $4.99 for this skirt and a basic black pencil skirt from the current collection retails at $248. The current line is super adorable and is 'handcrafted in NYC', you can see that on https://www.nanettelepore.com/. There were some small stains on the skirt but are virtually unnoticeable. I think this skirt just needs a good hand-wash to get it back to good condition.


I also found this really cute corset top just in time for Halloween that was new with tags. It's a silky black and white polka dot with ruffled ribbon trim. This was the most expensive item that I got on my thrift shopping trip, ringing up at $14.99. Although the original retail price was $39.99, so I feel like I got a decent deal on a very unique piece. I look forward to pairing this with a tulle skirt to give it more of a princess-y feel for Halloween. Now, I just have to get my hands on a tiara.


I was really exited to find a decent sized oval picture frame for only $3.99. I saw a craft project on Pinterest for a monogram faux flower wall decoration, so this is perfect for that. Likely, I'll sand it down to get rid of the finish and then spray paint it gold.

The teacup was only 99 cents and is an adorable floral pattern. I plan on using it for my watercolor water instead of washing my brushes in my drinking cups like I had been doing. The metallic accents on the rim and handle are a nice touch.

The shoes are from Fioni which is really good quality for the price. I paid $4.99 for this pair and they're in extremely good condition: no wear to either of the liners, the heels aren't worn down at all and there is no scuffing to the exterior.

The green platter is also going to be for a craft project. My roommate and I have been looking for a coffee table tray for a while now, and this one is the perfect material for an upcycle. I'm going to sand off the original design, remove the wicker that's wrapped around the handles and paint it with a gel medium finish. I may add some collage elements to it, but I'm not quite sure yet.

The box of fake petals is for my monogram frame. There like three different shades of purple petals in there and they match my dorm room decor perfectly. Buying a box of faux silk petals was surprisingly cheaper than buying faux flowers and from past experience with faux flowers, these are going to be easier to manipulate for crafting.

The headband was also brand new with tags from Target and features hot pink chiffon flowers. It pairs well with the floral cardigan from earlier. This headband is just a really girly accessory and will add a pop of color to any outfit.

I got another mug that was 99 cents because I only have two mugs in my room at the moment and I'm too lazy to do dishes all the time. The illustration on the mug is of Central Park and although I've never been there, I feel like it really captures my style. It's going to need a couple washes before I actually start using it, but I look forward to having another mug in my collection.

I've been working on my calligraphy for a while and I have all the supplies except I have no idea what I'm really doing. So when I found an instructional book for only $1.99, I knew it was a match made in heaven. It has so many scripts in it and is pretty easy to follow so far. I was very close to getting a book on flower pressing too, but then it hit me that I don't have any flowers to press.

Lastly in this image is a roll of hot pink glitter, Scotch washi tape which was in packaging. The woman at the thrift shop said that they got a whole bunch of them a couple days ago but they all went super fast and this one was just well hidden. I'll probably end up using this in some of my planner pages.

I also found this purse and clutch set from Nine West. The purse was $9.99 and the clutch was $3.99. I didn't even realize that it was from Nine West until I bought it; I just really liked the pattern of the bag, so the brand was an added plus. I've been needing a bigger purse up here at school and all the bags that I do have are neutral tones, so this particular purse will add a pop of color to my ensemble. The lining in both of these was in pretty good condition, which is strange for most thrift shop purses.


I hoped you guys all enjoyed looking at my thrift shop finds as much as I enjoyed finding them! I really recommend checking out your local thrift shops every couple weeks because the stock is constantly changing and you'll never know what you'll find. For this particular post, the items were from three thrift shops in the area: two smaller locally owned shops and then Savers. Surprisingly enough, the smaller shops had less expensive prices than Savers (Although, Savers is by no means expensive!). We also found out that if we had gone on Tuesday, we could have saved a 20% student discount at Savers, which was kind of sad and I wish I had known about that sooner.

I'd love to hear about some of the awesome (or strange) things you've gotten at thrift shops, so please tell your stories in the comments section below!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! *I reserve the right to delete any comments deemed offensive or unrelated to the post*
-Katelyn