Thursday, October 1, 2015

Let's Art Journal! (Week 1: Supplies)


Starting this month, I'm introducing a new feature to my blog: Let's Art Journal! I'm going to walk you guys through how I made a page for my art journal with tips and pictures. And then, if you choose to make your own journal page based off of my post and share an image with me, I'll feature it in next week's edition! However, this week's edition is just an intro to the supplies that I'll be using when creating my art journal pages. I'd love to hear in the comments what kind of supplies you guys love to use when art journaling/crafting!

Supplies

  • Art Journal: A good art journal is a must! I prefer one with thicker pages so that I can use a variety of media and not have to worry about it bleeding through the pages. I also like a journal with a hard cover so that it doesn't bend/ the pages don't get folded. A hard cover also helps the pages dry flat if you're using wet media like watercolor. The journal I use is a 9X12 Strathmore Visual Journal in Mixed Media Vellum. I bought this journal for about twelve dollars and it is well worth the price. It's 68 pages, so that's a lot of room for journaling! Here's the link to purchase the same journal as me on Amazon, if you were looking for a good quality art journal without breaking the bank.
  • Pens in a variety of sizes: I prefer to use Prismacolor Premier marker pens in the variety pack. I've also heard good things about Sakura brand marker pens. A less pricey alternative would be a black felt tip Flair pen. The pen set I use can be found here
  • Glue Sticks: I prefer an archival glue stick because they last better over time and don't discolor your journal pages. My favorite brand of glue stick might have to be the Uhu Stic. You can buy them here on Amazon. These glue sticks are really permanent on most surfaces and don't dry out too quickly like cheaper glue sticks do. 
  • Tacky Glue or Elmer's Glue
  • Magazine Clippings and other Interesting Found Objects: I subscribe to a lot of magazines that have interesting pictures so that once I'm done reading them, I can collage with the pages. Some places, like doctor's offices, libraries, etc. keep new editions of popular magazines around but throw them out when newer editions are released. Ask at some of these places if you can have the magazines instead of letting them go to waste!
  • Colored Pencils: I splurged a bit on my colored pencil set and bought the Prismacolor 132 pack a couple of years back. These pencils last very well and have a nice color to them. If you aren't planning on using these colored pencils for much else, a less expensive pack of colored pencils will serve the same purpose.
  • Paintbrushes in a variety of sizes and shapes
  • Watercolor or Watercolor Pencils: People tend to be either a pan watercolor kind of person or a watercolor pencils kind of person. I use both varieties, but prefer to work with watercolor pencils. The set of watercolor pencils I own is a 72 Pencil Tin Box Set of Derwent Watercolor Pencils which can be found here on Blick's website.
    Derwent 72 Set of Watercolor Pencils
  • Craft Paint: You can buy these at Michael's Crafts for about 49 cents a bottle and they serve their purpose nicely. The do have a scratchy texture once dry that drives me crazy, so I often mix them with a gel medium which gives a glossier texture and also adds some body to the paint.
  • Stickers: I love working with stickers so much as you can see in images of my weekly planner. I buy the majority of my stickers at Walmart because they generally have a large variety and are generally around a dollar or two per set. I like to keep in mind that although puffy stickers are cute, they don't allow the pages around them to lay flat and create a harder surface to work on later down the road.
  • Scissors (An Exacto Knife may also be handy!)
  • Ruler
  • Tape: Either decorative (Washi or fabric) or clear 
  • Creativity!
So that's basically all of the supplies that I have on hand for art journaling at the moment. Next week, I'll be walking you through a journal page that I've made using some of these supplies. Please keep in mind that these supplies are in no way necessary, art journaling in based on personal preference of materials and I encourage you all to experiment with the materials that you feel comfortable using.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! *I reserve the right to delete any comments deemed offensive or unrelated to the post*
-Katelyn