Wednesday, September 30, 2015

5 Things I've Learned From Dorm Living


I've been here about a month now, and let me tell you, dorm living is the opposite of cozy. Yes, it can be fun at times, but, it's a lot of people in a small space. This list is going to come off kind of negative, but I'll make sure to post a more positive version in the upcoming weeks. Here are some of the things that I just want to emphasize about living in confined quarters:

  1. Hair, Hair Everywhere: When you live with a bunch of other girls, every surface is covered in hair- the floors, the shower drains, your futon, etc.. (Remember your lint roller and to vacuum your carpets occasionally.) But, you have to be okay with it because you only add to the problem. One thing from living in a dorm that I never thought I would ever have to do is picking up my roommate's hairballs that have embedded themselves on the carpet and the bottom of my socks. As I sit here writing this post, I am pulling long, blonde hairs out of my fuzzy socks that I know aren't my own. 
  2. Shoes Are A Must: Never leave the room without putting on shoes, especially in the shower. There is a girl on my floor who didn't think shower shoes were necessary, that is, until she developed like the worst case of athlete's foot ever. I recommend bringing a pair of flip flops that you aren't afraid to get gross. Another thing that I learned was a necessity was slippers/moccasins. You're not going to want to lace up a pair of tennis shoes or put on a pair of boots every time you need to go to the bathroom; slippers are great because you don't need to take off socks to slide them on.
  3. Roommates Have Weird Habits: If you didn't know your roommate before you moved in (or even if you did), you're normally in the same situation of living with another person when you hadn't shared a small space with anyone before in your life. People do weird things when they're home alone, but now, that home is shared with another person and you just have to accept it. Don't judge your roommate, because likely, there is something that you do that they find completely strange too.
  4. Don't Be The Messy Roommate: Even if you were messy before you got to college, try your hardest to keep your things cleaned up. No one wants to live with a pile of their roommate's dirty dishes sitting on the desk. It's uncomfortable to ask your roommate to clean up after themselves, so put yourself in their shoes and clean up your dirty dishes (before the bugs get into your room). Within the first week of school, you and your roommate should establish some housekeeping rules such as: How often do we make our beds? How often will we do a thorough cleaning of the room? How long are dirty dishes allowed to sit around before getting cleaned? Etc.
  5. You Don't Have To Be Best Friends With Everyone You Meet: Being thrown into a new environment and knowing no one can be stressful, and normally, you cling to the first couple of people you meet as your new best friends even though you have nothing in common. I'm not saying that you can't be friends with these people, by all means, make as many friends as you can! What I'm trying to get across here is that you shouldn't be down on yourself if the first week or two has gone by and you're still eating by yourself in the cafeteria every day. You'll make lasting friendships over time and the bast way to jump start this is to join an activity or two that you're really interested in and you're bound to find people with common interests. 
This may seem like a rant (because it kind of was), but I just want to wrap this up by saying that college is great, it just takes a while to get used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! *I reserve the right to delete any comments deemed offensive or unrelated to the post*
-Katelyn