Friday, August 14, 2015

DIY Try: Washi Tape Pencils


When I look at all these DIY ideas on Pinterest, I always wonder what extent of effort they'll take. I know DIY stands for 'Do It Yourself', but sometimes it seems like you need a degree in crafting to accomplish some of these tutorials. So I tried my hand at the wonderful world of DIYs and started with an easy one: washi tape pencils. I'm thinking about making these DIY attempts a regular feature on my blog, but, I'm going to see how my first one goes before I get too ahead of myself! Tell me in the comments if there are any DIYs you've seen and would like me to try!

Washi tapes are my latest addiction and I happened to pick up a cute, little set up of them at my last visit to Target. For those of you who are new to the crafting world, washi tapes are a semi-transparent paper tape that originated in Japan and come in a wide variety of prints.

I saw this on Pinterest from 'Passion for Savings' and can be found here at this link. This particular idea has been on my to-do list for a while and I've been absolutely dying to try it. I began with all of my tools: a pair of scissors (for cutting my tape in an even line), a pencil sharpener and somewhere to put my sharpening, washi tape and pencils that you've grown tired of.

I had a whole bunch of pencils that I was given the the beginning of school years past that have just accumulated in the bottom of a drawer in my room. I sharpened them so that they would be ready to write with as soon as they were finished. Plain yellow pencils can just be so bland sometimes, but leave it to Pinterest to help me spice things up a bit!
Once my pencils were sharpened, I started by wrapping the top and bottom of the pencil with a single layer of tape. This will make it easier for me to angle the tape when I start on my next step.

Next, I overlapped the tape slightly on the band I had started nearest to the point of the pencil. Then, at an angle, I wrapped up the body of the pencil. This was surprisingly harder to do than expected because you're trying not to cover up the other wraps of tape you've done so that the pattern still shows but at the same time. The tape doesn't sit flat against the pencil when you're wrapping at an angle, so there's some areas where there's a bit of extra tape. (It's very hard to explain this; I apologize) Once I had finished wrapping the pencil, I pressed around all of the tape so that there wouldn't be any more tape bubbles that had formed in the wrapping process.

The tape bubbles being pressed out formed some wrinkles around the sides of the pencils, making them look kinda lumpy. I assume that as I write with them, they'll form to the pencils a bit more. These aren't the kind of imperfections that you see in the Pinterest images! 

A major question I had when starting this project was: "Can I sharpen my pencils after they're covered in tape?" and the answer is "No". I tried to sharpen one of my pencils again once I had wrapped it, and it just tore up the tape around the top of the pencil. My suggestion to fix this would be to wrap the tape in bands like we did at the top and bottom of the pencil in the first step and then continue to wrap the entire pencil in bands. That way, when you need to sharpen the pencil, you can just peel off the next band of tape and sharpen down to where the washi tape starts again. Washi tape is great like that; it's removable when it needs to be and permanent when it needs to be. 
Stay tuned as I mess up other Pinterest tutorials even though I claim to be an art student. I'm thinking of a new blog description now, "Constantly Katelyn: Please Don't Kick Me Out of Art School Because I Can't Follow A Pinterest Tutorial To Save My Life". That might be a little too long of a description, I think I'll just stick to what I have now.

6 comments:

  1. Your idea for the new blog description made me laugh so much. I have a BFA in Art and I still feel helpless when I try to recreate pinterest projects, so you're not alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really takes a special kind of person to DIY! Thanks for visiting my blog!
      -Katelyn

      Delete
  2. Hi! Found you from the webinar.
    Love this diy, Ive done this with a pen as well.
    www.xoxomake.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I absolutely love looking at your blog, it's a great mix of hilarious and beautiful! I hope you had as much fun at the webinar as I did! I look forward to reading more from your blog!
      -Katelyn

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my blog! *I reserve the right to delete any comments deemed offensive or unrelated to the post*
-Katelyn