Thursday, August 6, 2015

An Overpacker's Guide To Packing For College




Since I have no experience in the area of packing stuff for college, I figured I would share with you the struggle that I'm currently facing in trying to get all of my belongings pulled together. If you're a college packing veteran, feel free to laugh at how ridiculous some of the stuff I'm bringing is. Let me tell you, lots of stuff and tiny dorm rooms don't mix well, and I have a lot of stuff.

My parents are super worried that all of my clothing won't fit into the car for the ten hour drive up to Minnesota, so my siblings aren't even going to be able to come with to help me move in. The clothing is likely going to be the biggest issue because I'm bringing three seasons worth of clothing. Since I'm not from the area of my college and I won't likely be home until Christmas break, I have to take everything with me in one trip.

I've divided my list up into areas and will mainly just be discussing the things that I bought purposely for college. The five fundamental areas that I'm outlining in this list are: bedding, bath, school, kitchen and entertainment/ decor. It may seem like a lot upon first glance, but I'm still working on cutting it back. I hope this list helps guide you in your own packing process!

Some things I've learned while packing include:

  1. School supplies can always be bought from the campus bookstore if you need more of anything
  2. Don't panic about forgetting things, small items can always be mailed to you by your parents, borrowed from roommates or bought at a local store.
  3. If you get to school and realize that something you brought doesn't fit (i.e. too many dresses to fit in your closet), send them back home with your parents and swap out next time you go home
  4. DVDs and books take up a lot of space and probably won't be used that often- pack these items sparingly
  5. You don't need to bring with you every pair of shoes that you own, bring just your favorites (And don't forget to keep in mind the climate of the school you'll be going to! I'm going to pack very lightly on the sandals side, but remember to bring my rain boots and snow boots.


Bedding

All of my bedding had to be purchased new because I'm moving from a queen bed down to a twin XL and nothing was going to fit my new mattress.
  • Comforter Set in Twin Extra Long (The set came with a matching sham and throw pillow, but I'm not going to be bringing either of those)
  • Hypoallergenic Mattress Pad (Because dorm room mattresses are both gross and uncomfortable)
  • Twin Extra Long Sheet Set (Mine is black with white polka dots to contrast the dots on the comforter)
And some extras:
  • Set of Two Black and White Pillowcases That Form a Dachshund When Put Together
  • A Black and White Patterned Pillow That My Mom Found at an Estate Sale (This will probably end up being used on my desk chair, but I haven't quite decided yet.)
  • Bed Risers (So that I can get my bed high enough to keep boxes under)


Comforter Set: Here
Pillow Case Set: Here
Sheet Set: Here

Kitchen

While I don't have a kitchen in my room, here are some of the things that I'll be keeping around for snacking:
  • Britta Filter Pitcher (So I don't have to constantly walk down the hall to get water, and this way, it'll taste good too.)
  • Plates, Bowls, Etc. (My parents were getting rid of our old dining set, so they gave me some of the pieces that we didn't need.)
  • Refillable Water Bottle
  • Woodland Creature Chip Clips (I eat a lot of chips, don't judge.)
  • Insulated Lunch Bag (For lunches and snacks on the go)
  • A Monogramed Tumbler That I Got From A Friend For Graduation (It's a Kate Spade polka dot tumbler that was monogramed by a local business.) 
  • 2 Door Mini Fridge (This one has a freezer big enough to hold a few containers of ice cream)
  • Microwave
  • Coffee Maker (My lovely roommate is bringing this so that we'll have hot water for tea and hot chocolate)

Chip Clips: Here
Kate Spade Tumbler: Here

School

Okay, I went a little overboard with the school supplies and I'm predicting that the majority of it will go through the entire first semester unopened. I always love shopping for school supplies because they're like art supplies for everyday.

  • Flair Pens (These are like my favorite pens ever and they come in every color of the rainbow, even yellow. Trust me, the yellow ones will sit in a cup on your desk until the end of time and never be used.)
  • Sharpie Liquid Highlighters
  • Lilly Pulitzer Agenda (I got a jumbo sized one for myself and then received a medium sized one for my graduation, so I'm keeping one on my desk and one in my purse.)
  • Post-Its (I found a really cute set in the dollar section of Target that look like rows of colored pencils)
  • Notepads (I love the little notepads they sell at TJ Maxx!)
  • Notebook Paper (College Ruled)
  • A College Ruled Notebook for Each of My Classes
  • Black and Red Ballpoint Pens
  • Trash Can (Our rooms don't have them. In addition to these, I'm brining a small roll of trash bags.)
  • Bookends (We don't have bookshelves, just shelves)
  • A Desk Organizer
  • A Couple Sheets of Stamps (For writing letters home and to family friends)
  • A MacBook Pro 15' with Retina Display (This computer is my life and it was required for my major. I saved up all summer to buy this.)
  • A Back-Up Drive for My Computer (To save important documents in case my computer crashes)
  • External DVD Drive (My computer doesn't have a disc drive, so I needed something to download my CDs and DVDs to my laptop with)
  • A plethora of art supplies for my major
  • Textbooks, Textbooks, Textbooks...
Lilly Pulitzer Agenda: Here

Bath
  • Bath Towels (4)
  • Washcloths (8)
  • Hand Towel 
  • Shower Shoes (Just a pair of flip-flops)
  • Shower Caddy (I went with the mesh one instead of the plastic one because the plastic ones are just so bulky looking.)
  • Make Up and Make Up Bag (Also an acrylic makeup organizer for the top of my dresser.)
  • Shampoo and Conditioner
  • Shower Gel (I have one from Bath and Body Works called 'Secret Wonderland' that smells really great.)
  • A Collapsable Hamper in a Really Cute Grey and White Chevron
  • Perfumes (I only packed two from my collection because I use them very slowly and don't need all the clutter)
  • First Aid Kit

Bath Towels: Here (Mine are in the purple color called "Grape Fizz") 

Entertainment/ Decor

  • A Small Box of DVDs (I'll swap them out when I come home for Christmas break)
  • A Couple of My Favorite Books (Books are bulky and heavy, so I chose to pack light on the books, my parents will be able to send up books from home if I absolutely need them. The school library also has a very big selection, so I'll be visiting there often.)
  • Audrey Hepburn Breakfast at Tiffany's Poster (Because it's super classic and super classy)
  • A Small Canvas Art Piece 
  • A Fluffy Rug
  • A Small Ottoman From Target That Doubles As A Storage Trunk (I already had this in my room at home and it currently holds my knitting supplies, not sure if it will stay knitting supplies though)
  • Sims 4 (Already downloaded on my computer and loving it!)
  • Nail Polishes
  • A Whiteboard For Our Dorm Room Door
  • Boardgames (I know boardgames are really big, so I stuck to some smaller games: Cards Against Humanity, Catchphrase and Bananagrams) 
Storage Ottoman: Here

I know this list will shift slightly over the next two weeks, but I'm just super excited to be packing all my stuff up and deciding what's coming with and what's staying behind. My clothing is starting to be packed up and it's just really making me realize that I'm leaving home, which is a bittersweet thing.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! *I reserve the right to delete any comments deemed offensive or unrelated to the post*
-Katelyn